Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cast Away!








Bye Bye Cast! Don't come back:)  Today was a great day and it's not even over.  Heather and I visited (and I literally mean both of us...I'll explain in a moment) Dr. Baer for another post-operative follow up.  As you can see by the pictures, she got her cast off and after viewing the x-rays on the knee and arm, both areas are healing great and look "very good" according to Dr. Baer.  He is very happy with the progress of bone growth and also her mobility thus far in her knee.  We will continue to get in the pool several times a week and work on mobility.  She will not undertake formal routine therapy on the leg until she's closer to weight bearing (Appx 4 weeks).  Reason being?  We can simply do things on our own at this point with continuing to move that knee back and forth and more importantly getting as straight as possible (That's the biggest concern long term is getting the knee/leg to be able to flex straight).  She will also start getting on a stationery bike and even doing some leg extensions to work on muscle strength...like she needs it:)  She is in a removable splint on her arm (picture above) that she can take on and off for showering, resting etc.  All in all, it was a great appointment and good news for us.  Oh yeah, when I said "we" visited the doctor, I really meant it.  As many of you know, I am preparing for Nationals in Oregon in 2 1/2 weeks (Sept 20th) and have really had some great progress in terms of training time and feeling stronger and stronger.  However, I have been struggling (even through a few physical therapy sessions and 4 deep tissue massage sessions, icing almost daily, and stretching literally 20+ minutes a day) with my IT Band on my right leg while running (Doesn't hurt while biking or swimming).  It has been an issue that has been sporadic and painful to say the least.  I didn't even get 5 minutes down the road on Monday before having to walk.  So, I ran this scenario by Dr. Baer and before even finishing my explanation he pulled out a large long needle and injected a shot of cortisone in the side of my knee and after 3 or 4 days I will be pain-free.  I am so pumped.  This brings concern to many of you I'm sure, but I know it's the right thing to do as I will be "hanging it up" after Sept 20th and resting my leg for a good month or two (At least not running).  So, a double dippin' great appointment I'd say:) 
 Again, thanks for all the meals, prayers and support.  We're making it and we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Oh yeah, Baby Camping appointment today at 4pm:)  We're almost inside 8 weeks left!  YES!

Daddy D


2 comments:

Grandma Paulie said...

this is so great! I am so happy so I can imagine the joy you are feeling Heather :) You look so beautiful!
Too bad Dustin... she can shower on her own now! ha ha
Love u 3,
grandma paulie

Anonymous said...

YYYYAAAAYYYY!!!! I am so happy for you Mrs.C! And congrats to Dustin! I didn''t know that you are going to nationals! That is awesome. And to you Baby Camping, I can't wait for you to come! My dad says hello and we will continue praying that this roller coaste r ride continues to get easier!